Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rest in Peace Corp. McGeath

"We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must -- at that moment -- become the center of the universe."
...
-Elie Wiesel at Nobel Peace Prize presentation. (copied from Philip McGeath's facebook quotes)

Corporal Philip D. McGeath, killed in action Feb. 18, 2012, Kajaki, Afghanistan
Phyllis's baby died in Afghanistan last week. I would like to hold that mom in my arms and ... I don't know what. Nobody can make it better.
I know this family because when my Marine went to boot camp, I became part of a parents', loved ones' group and we shared and supported one another there. This young man is the brother of one who graduated from boot camp with my son. He was killed by suicide bombers in Afghanistan.

In his profile on facebook Philip said, "If you're in the arms of a Marine you're either in the last moments of your life....or the safest place you'll ever be."
An anti-tank guided missilman, he liked bodybuilding, running and Peyton Manning. He was a member of Bravo Company of the 1st Battalion, 6th Marines.
He had a wife Sarah, an older sister and was the oldest of six brothers, three of whom were Marines.



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this beautiful tribute.

    Heather Krakat - friend of Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love is in my heart and thinking of all u guys, even when i woke up this morning, that is how much this effects us all, more if we know the mom or dad, i pray for strength ,love wisdom and most alot of courage to get thru this year with out your son who gave his life to fight for our freedom.

    its as tho jesus died for us for our sins to make it to heaven , your son now awaits for the rest of us to join one day, be strong and i know its not that easy because you still have 2 more sons fighting, may god protect them. god bless u all ..............judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post.it is an awesome way to be proud of Phillip .I don't know how any parent can handle this but his mom & dad are doing a great job of showing how proud & how much they love their family.I miss you Phillip.you are another Angel in heaven watching over me may god bless your family & help them in this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work as a teacher for the Sierra Vista School District. I just want you to know that the memoriams that elementary school students made in Philip's honor are still on display as I write this. I know a teacher and a principal in this town who are directly affected by the passing of this fine hero. RIP and thank you so much for your sacrifice. Signed, a retired Army Master Sergeant

    ReplyDelete